Growing up, I experienced a lot of abuse from my biological
mother. Physical, emotional, and verbal abuse were a daily part of my life, and
it left me with deep emotional scars that have lasted well into my adult years.
But despite the trauma I faced as a child, I refused to let it define me. I
knew that I had a choice in how I responded to my experiences, and I was
determined to make the most of my life. I was determined to be better than what
I experienced. I was determined to make a difference in my life and the life of
my siblings. I knew the life I had growing up wasn’t the life that we were all
meant to thrive in.
As I grew older, I discovered that I had a talent for seeing
the bigger picture of situations, projects, people, and much more. I had a
talent of survival along with empathy. Others would naturally confide in me
without prompting. I listened. I cried with strangers. I hugged humans that
I had just met. I could picture myself in a person’s point of view when they
were pouring out their heart and soul. I wanted to help them heal. I wanted to
understand how they felt. I wanted to reassure them someone would listen. I wanted them to know they were not alone no
matter the situation. I wanted the
person to know I cared about them even though I was a stranger. I wanted those
humans to walk away feeling heard and validated and not overlooked. I knew I could listen. I knew I would not
judge, as I knew and know how it feels to be judged. I used my skill of
listening and empathy to cope with the emotions of others.
Eventually, I knew I had reached a point where I needed to
pursue a self-healing journey for myself. I needed to remember to put on my own
oxygen mask before helping others. Was it that easy? Nope. No way. Not even a
little. I still struggle with this very aspect today. I struggle with self-doubt
in the job I do for a living. I struggle with thoughts of not being the best
mom that my son deserves. I worry I am not cut out for graduate school. I have
negative thoughts that I am not enough for those that love me whole heartedly.
I could go on, but I feel you understand that really, I am a hot mess express
that is working on becoming a beautiful butterfly.
Those struggles and thoughts I mention continue to remind
and show me how far I have come and continue to grow. Those struggles and thoughts are the imposter
syndrome peaking its head into my life making its presence known. I didn’t send
out the invite to the imposter syndrome, but somehow the imposter syndrome
obtained an invite into my mental state from time to time. Its a sneaky little
devil, it is.
Imposter syndrome is the feeling that you're a fraud and
that you don't belong, even if you have the necessary skills and experience. For
me, imposter syndrome was closely tied to my experiences of abuse. I had
internalized the message that I was not worthy or talented enough, and I
constantly doubted my abilities.
But I refused to let imposter syndrome hold me back. I
sought out therapy and support from close friends and family. I work each day
to build my confidence and self-esteem. I also make a conscious effort to
acknowledge my achievements and celebrate my successes, no matter how small.
Yes, sometimes that means when I receive a 10.67 out of 11 points on an
assignment, I don’t dwell on the missing points but rather celebrate I did not
bomb the assignment.
Over time, I am learning to embrace my talents and value myself as a person. I realized that my experiences of abuse had given me a unique perspective on life and that my current position in life had the power to inspire and uplift others who had gone through similar struggles or situations.
I'm still a work in progress, and I still have moments of
self-doubt, but I no longer let those feelings hold me back. I'm living proof
that it's possible to overcome even the most difficult challenges and if one
puts in the work achieving dreams is possible regardless of your background.
If you're struggling with childhood abuse or imposter
syndrome, know that you're not alone. Reach out for help and support, and never
give up on your dreams. Remember that your past does not define you, and that
you have the power to create a bright and fulfilling future for yourself.
I am sorry you had to experience that abuse. I feel that some of what our parents did to raise us is frown upon today and rightly so. There has to be consquences but with in reason. Daily abuse does not create conformance! I believe that your own actions and how you overcome these issues is what defines you as a person. Some can do it and others can't. It will always be there and you can't just forgot what happened.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing
Thank you for sharing Brittany! I can see how the imposter syndrome can be extremely challenging and that your past has caused you pain! I can see through your blog that you are hopeful for a brighter day and I'm sure you are a fabulous mother to your son! Your kindness and determination are very evident! You seem like a very authentic person and I appreciate that you have shared your story!
ReplyDelete